This week is the American Christian Fiction Writers yearly conference, and I’m so excited. I attended in 2010 and 2011, and both times it was a high point of my year. Most of my closest relationships these days are online friends I’ve met through ACFW. This is my yearly reunion with those close friends.
|This week's home away from home|
At this point in my career, the potentially overwhelming writers craft classes are optional. My plan is to hit a few I really want or that my friends are attending, and skip about an equal number to hang out and play :) And at my agent’s most excellent advice, I don’t have to face any nail-biting editor appointments this year. Although I’m always looking for casual ways to network with industry professionals.
Here are some things I’m looking forward to seeing and doing this week.
1) The ladies from my group blog Inkwell Inspirations. I’ll be rooming with one of them and plan to have meals with them throughout the conference, but Friday will be our main hang out day since one of our members is coming in for Friday only.
2) A close friend from my local ACFW group who I will also be rooming with.
3) My critique partners. I’ll be meeting one of these awesome ladies for the first time! I’ll be looking for her early in the conference to make sure we get plenty of time together.
4) My new Zondervan editors and other Zondervan writers. Friday night is set aside for the official dinner.
5) The ladies of my Hiswriters European historical fiction group. We’re planning a late night coffee run that could just turn into a regular old slumber party.
6) My WhiteFire Publishing family. As many of you know, I serve as an acquisitions editor for WhiteFire. Saturday afternoon will be the time I reconnect with several and meet a few in person.
7) I’ll also be keeping an eye out for my buddies from the Blue Ridge and Philly conferences.
8) I always end up meeting a few Facebook friends live and in the flesh.
9) And this year I’ll be spending time with my college roommate who lives in Dallas. That’s an added bonus, but part of the fun of visiting different cities every year for the conference.
10) Finally, I get to dress up in a gown Saturday night for the Awards Gala.
So that’s just some of the fun in store for me at this years ACFW conference. Have you been to a writers conference? What did you enjoy? If not, what’s a special yearly event you look forward to?